Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Second Time Around—Giving up Salmon

So, what’s different the second time around on this pregnancy biz? Well, nothing and a lot. Let’s start with some of the things that haven’t changed. One, Kendra is tired. Dog tired. She’s giving Roxy, our West Highland Terrier, a run for her money on being tired. I work from home when I can and am able to view Roxy’s day-to-day existence. She wakes up excitedly after a good 8-10 hours of sleep, goes outside, eats a bit and then settles in for a good nap to start the morning. She wakes up in a few hours and moves to another area to nap. Then she awakes to go outside and then naps. She’s usually awake when Kendra (dragging) and Campbell (bouncing) come home around 6:00 that evening. Campbell antagonizes Roxy for a while, she goes outside to bark at people then she comes back in to lay down. Later, she naps with us on the couch watching TV until it’s time to hit the old hay so she can get in another good eight hours of shut-eye. I catch Kendra looking longingly at Roxy sometimes and mumbling under her breath. Kendra didn’t get sick or nauseous, which is good because she would have probably been too tired to get to the toilet. She promised not to go too crazy on the eating this time like she did with Campbell. She said, “I never again want to be that pregnant woman sucking cookie dough straight from the tube while stopped at a red light.” For the most part she’s done pretty good with that, except when she’s succumb to her nemesis…PEANUT BUTTER. Actually, it’s a delicious little demon for both of us. Nothing like pnb and toast with honey on it. Even though we buy the Smart Balance Omega Plus Trans Fat Free If-You-Have-to-Eat-Peanut-Butter-This-is-the-Healthiest Brand, it’s still got a good 16 grams of fat per spoonful if you know what I mean.

What’s changed? Well, Kendra had BIG craving for Greek food with Campbell. We ate it so much that I thought Campbell would forever have a hummus-like hue to her skin and one day have a strong desire to change her name to Shawarma Pappadopoluos. This time, she’s not really craved anything, but she has been repulsed by seafood. Especially fish. We used to have salmon once a week before she was pregnant, now I haven’t had it in months. I know I could probably go out and get some for myself and cook it, but I think I’d run the risk of nauseating my poor wife and that’s not a risk I want to take. She’s been able to tolerate shrimp, but not been real keen on crawfish. I’ve given up the salmon, but crawfish is a totally different story. I’m from Louisiana for goodness sake! Probably the biggest difference in this pregnancy is that we’re both a little more relaxed. She gave away her What to Expect When You’re Expecting book and is not freaking out about it. She claims she’s just going to kinda’ wing it. I don’t totally believe that. I plan on doing a little brushing up on some things, so I’m not “that guy” at the store where some poor mother takes pity on me and performs some kind of “mommy magic” to help my child stop wailing…magic like giving him/her a bottle or moving the leg that’s being pinched by the stroller. Speaking of which, I think I’m going to begin searching our bookcases to find some of those books. It’s never too early to start looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment